Thursday, September 17, 2009

To Be Called Or No

I have thought a lot about the notion that one must be called to do a particular ministry, or that God has a perfect plan/will for everyone over and above what the Scriptures specifically tell us. Though the idea that God has a perfect will for each one of us outside of what the Scriptures reveal is a popular one in the circles in which I run, I am not so sure it is biblically accurate. To be sure, there is nothing in the Bible that states that exactly. I suppose it could be true, but the Bible just doesn't say it. The best one can do to come up with that determination is to take passages teaching that certain people were called for a specific task and then apply the idea of a specific call to everyone, which I don't see can be justifiably done. The Scriptures teach that certain people are called to a specific task, not that all are called to a specific task.

That brings me to the thought that if I want to do something for the Lord, and I desire it to His glory and man's good, and my motives and methods are pure, and what I want to do is clearly Biblical, then I should pursue it. Should there be checks in my spirit or godly counselors who caution me against it then I should reconsider my desires and not attempt them until I have a perfect peace about the issue. I believe strongly one should take all things to the Lord for His approval and guidance. He will answer one's request for such (Jeremiah 33:3). And I believe God, in that sense, will declare His will regarding each request. I don't see how one could go wrong that way. Surely the Lord will lead one when asked. But that He has a perfect plan for my life not clearly stated in His word I have a hard time believing. I'm not sure it makes that much difference to the Lord what one does as long as he enquires of the Lord about it. I wouldn't advise anyone to do something even excellent for the Lord without taking it to Him. It may well be something He would not want you to do. (He knows your abilities and weaknesses. Some things you may not be able to do, and might be better at doing others, even if you don't think so.) The Bible teaches us such with doctrine and examples (Prov. 3:5-6; James 4:13-15; 2Samuel 7:1-17). Of course, if one has a strong leaning to do something and it won't go away, that may well be the Lord moving on his spirit. Nevertheless, I and others have had such leanings for them never to come to fruition, having been attempted. I think that often our leanings or intuitions are nothing more than ours. There is a lot in the mind and heart of a man that may cause him to think or desire something very naturally without it being a movement of the Lord. I would only caution one to be sure in his own heart that a desire is from the Lord. His permission should be sought at all times. If you have a desire to do something for the Lord, take it to Him, seek His counsel (. . . neither know we what to do: but our eyes are upon thee. 2Chrn. 20:12) and that of others who have the wisdom to give it, be sure it is strictly Biblical, and go for it. If the Lord doesn't want you to do it He will let you know (Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you Phil. 3:15). Just be willing to hear Him.

1Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

P.S. My thoughts are my thoughts. Be careful about taking another's mind for your own. Only God is always, in every way right.

No comments:

Post a Comment